26 June 2006

Miguel's, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Name: Miguel's Fresh-Mex
City: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Address: Chaiya Pum Road on the East side of the moat.



Website: unknown

Cuisine: Mexican-ish

Critique: This open air cantina serves the best Mexican food in Chiang Mai, which really isn't saying much. However, on the three or four dining occasions I have had, I was pleased with the food. For an establishment of this caliber in SE Asia, they have a large menu variety. I guess the first thing they have done right is their refried beans. They don't have the funny after-taste that you can get from other so-called Mexican dishes in Chiang Mai.

The restaurant isn't good for a big group as there are only 6 or 8 tables with a few bar stools. It can get crowded at ex-pat lunch time, but is not bad at noon. Parking is difficult, but possible. It is right on the road, so there is lots of noise and exhaust fumes. Being open-air, it can get very hot, as well.

I wouldn't exactly call the place "kid friendly" as they don't have kid's menus. The prices are decent enough, especially since the quality of the food is good. I found the seating a bit uncomfortable, but no big deal.

Comments/Recommendations: I recommend the Burrito Ranchero and the Three Amigos. Of course, if you are hankering for refried beans, this is the place to get them in Chiang Mai. My kids liked the tacos. (I don't like tacos ANYWHERE) I was also extremely happy with their beef and bean chimichanga. I haven't seen anything close to good chimichangas anywhere else in Asia (so far).

Rating: 3 Fries

No comments: