25 June 2006

The Flying Pan, Hong Kong

Name: The Flying Pan
City: Hong Kong
Address: G/F 9 Old Bailey Street, Central, Hong Kong Island OR
3/F 81-85 Lockhart Road, Wanchai



Website: unknown

Cuisine: Western, breakfast

Critique: Breakfast 24 hours a day. What a concept! And a good breakfast it is. I ate there the other day for lunch with my friend Alan. I can't wait to take my wife and kids there. It was stupendous!

It has the feel of an old diner, but everything is new and shiny. You get a pot of coffee when you order coffee, and they will refill it at no charge (as often as you like, I suppose). The portions are generous and most meals come with two side orders and a glass of juice. It would be a perfect place for brunch or a late lunch. The Wanchai branch was fairly full by the time we left at 1:30 pm.

The food quality was good, but the bacon tasted more like ham. The grits were good and there was enough that you don't need to make both side dishes grits! Alan's waffle looked a bit over done, but that, of course, can vary by cook. They provide maple and blueberry syrups.

Alan mentioned that they do have high chairs for kids and the waitresses don't seem to keep distracting the kids while they eat, which can often happen with little ones in HK.

They have a discount/membership card available, but you have to eat there 16 times before you get a free meal. It didn't seem that good of a deal to me, but I'm not sure that I really understood what it was all about.

Comments/Recommendations: I look forward to going to the Flying Pan again, real soon. I really want to take my wife there for brunch. I had the eggs benedict last time and I would recommend it to you. I am going to try an omelet next time, too.

Rating: 4 Fries

1 comment:

JasonC said...

We went here after church on Sunday and the food was great and so were the portions. We didn't take advantage of the endless coffee and opted for the complimentary (shot-glass of) juice.
I had the pancakes with bacon and scrambled eggs. All of it was good. One of the pancakes was just a hair overcooked, but other than that the food was good.
My girlfriend had the Flying Pan special and it was huge- pan-fried potatoes, sausage, bacon, toast, eggs and maybe even some more. She said all of her food was good also and I tried the potatoes and like them.
Each plate was under $10 US. It wasn't cheap, but probably on par cost-wise with Cracker Barrel or one of the American breakfast chains.
The service was okay. They didn't seem to coordinated which slowed down the service a bit.
But I definitely recommend it and would agree with the 4 Fries rating.