08 July 2006

Fernando's, Coloane, Macau

Name: Restaurante Fernando
City: Coloane, Macau
Address: 9 Praia de Hac Sa





Website: unknown

Cuisine: Portuguese

Critique: This restaurant has enjoyed a high praise from those who have eaten there previously, from the Macau Tourism Board, and from other restaurant reviewers. I have to say that I was entirely disappointed with my experience there. First of all, the restaurant is all the way on the southern tip of Coloane Island on Hac Sa Beach. It takes a long time and a lot of effort just to get there.

I have nothing against al fresco dining, however, this particular restaurant seemed to be in a broiler. It was simply too hot to enjoy the food. At this point, however, I will interject and say that the cold water to drink was very, very cold. That is definitely a plus. I went with a very large group, so we were able to sample many different dishes. Now, there were things that I enjoyed; I simply see this restaurant as being previously over-rated. I want to bring some balance to that with this visit.

It is also fair to state that it isn't pure Portuguese food; Fernando is from the Azores, so it has a taste of the islands. Fernando was OK; a little curt, but not too bad. The service was adequate, but nothing to write home about. The portion size: cost ratio was a little eschew. It averaged US$7.60 per person. I didn't feel that I got my money's worth.

My children didn't enjoy the food very much and complained about it being so hot. There was a large area for them to play outside and there was also a foosball table. My children did not have a good experience there.

Comments/Recommendations: The bread is very good as is their pork with garlic. I would honestly recommend not going in the summer months, or only going there if you are already at Hac Sa Beach. Be sure to get the cold water; you'll need it.

Rating: 2 Fries

1 comment:

JasonC said...

I just went to Fernando's and I would probably agree with most of my fellow blogger's review. I had the pork ribs with fries and they were pretty good, but in typical Asian fashion they were hacked up in a manner that left shards of bone mixed in with the meat. These ribs was definitely not "fall off the bone" pork.

It was HOT. We were at the table next to the kitchen and it was already hot outside, so we were sweating the whole time.

I didn't have too much of a problem with the price- mine was around $15 US which would be comparable to a mainstream America chain.

It is out of the way and if you don't go at off hours, you will wait in line.

Bottom Line: Curb expectations or you won't be satisfied.